Beginning July 31, 2023, the City of Kingsville, along with SecureVision of America will begin a City wide Water Meter replacement project of all water meters 5/8” inch and larger. Meter Replacement project is mandatory. There is no additional cost to the customer for this update.
Mass Installation will contact all property owners that are required to have their water meters replaced.
Contractors will be supervised by City of Kingsville staff, carry proper identification and have successfully completed a comprehensive background check; contractor vehicles will also be clearly marked.
Please contact the City of Kingsville Utility Dept. at 361-595-8033 for any questions about the metering project or the new water meters. All specific billing questions should be directed to the City of Kingsville Utility Department.
Frequently Asked Questions from Customers Regarding the Water Meter Project
- Can you explain the installation process?
- The project includes replacing water meters with new, technology advanced meters and registers that can communicate usage data via wireless technology.
- During the water meter replacement, your water service will be temporarily interrupted while the existing water meter is removed, and the new meter is installed.
- The City of Kingsville and our contractors and consultants are committed to minimizing impacts from this important project and will, therefore, prepare and work according to reliable, updated schedules and ensure that interruptions are minimal.
- To ensure that the installation is complete, workers will test the new meters.
- Do I need to do anything to prepare for the installation?
- To help keep everyone safe, dogs and other domestic pets will need to be kept out of yards during installation.
- Always keep meter box lids unobstructed.
- How will I be informed when the installation is taking place at my home or business.
- Post cards will be sent to customers regarding the installation of the new water meters and meter transmitters.
- Who is doing the work?
- The contractor is Mass Installation. SecureVision of America installation installers will carry proper identification and have successfully completed a background check.
- The project is being managed by Aguaworks Pipe and Supply, LLC. which will ultimately be responsible for the day-to-day execution of the project, overseeing installation, and ensuring the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- How does this benefit the customers?
- Quicker leak detection for customers
- More accurate billing
- Reduced meter reading cost
- More efficient customer service
- What happens with the current meters and equipment?
- The existing meters being replaced during the project will be recycled.
- As is currently the case, water meters, and radio units will remain the property of the City of Kingsville and the City will continue to perform the required maintenance on these units.
- Will wireless technology affect my health of privacy?
- The new meters will not negatively affect health or privacy. In fact, the wireless portions of the system will be operated according to Federal Communications Commission rules, and will not interfere with other radio frequencies in the area. The transmitters use one-quarter of the power of a cellphone. The amount of exposure to radio waves decreases with the square of the distance from the source. Exposure to radio waves from smart meters is absolutely tiny compared to cellphones.